Tuesday, June 30, 2009

From Romeo and Juliet

I have always admired Shakespeare for so many reasons. His works are
incomparable till today. My first acquaintance with him was the sonnet
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day. Since then, his works have
never stopped fascinating me. This excerpt from Romeo and Juliet
for example, is a sonnet, in a form of a conversation between
Romeo and Juliet after meeting each other for the first time.

ROMEO
[To JULIET.]
93 If I profane with my unworthiest hand
94 This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this:
95 My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
96 To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

JULIET
97 Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
98 Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
99 For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
100 And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

ROMEO
101 Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?

JULIET
102 Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.

ROMEO
103 O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do;
104 They pray — grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

JULIET
105 Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.

ROMEO
106 Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.

Should I put 21PL for this post? ;p
Yes, the poem is about Romeo asking Juliet's permission to
kiss her, but I am really amazed with the analogy, as if Juliet
is a shrine, and he is a pilgrim.
Simply amazing and romantic <3<3


No comments:

Post a Comment

we're all calm, rational people rite?