Who are the stupid people who propose this? I bet they just did this in a whim. They NEVER consulted anyone especially those in the education field. The experts and people with PHDs are doing nothing. They just sit and have their nice chit chat with the education system and then just decide to change. I bet the people in the ministry are not qualified too. Though they were ex teachers with at least degrees, but hey what do they know about the education system rite? Even the street peddler who didn’t go to school know that UPSR and PMR are good. The exams have been going on in Malaysia for like FOREVER. And you know what people say when something lasts that long it must be good. Remember when Galileo Galilei said the SUN is the centre of the universe, not the earth? Since the Dark Age people have learned and known that everything revolves around the earth. Go to the edge of the ocean and you will fall. Serve Galileo right that he was almost killed for saying such blasphemy. Yeah, serve him right! Remind me not to go oversea for fear of falling off the earth. *shudder*
LET ME SHOW YOU THE RESULT OF GOING THROUGH (AS THE SECOND BATCH) OF UPSR, PMR AND SPM. (Yes, I am NOT OLD please. I’m just 31. Old is like, what 67?) I will list down the reasons why EXAMS MUST GO ON AS CONSTANT AS THE FLOWING RIVER AND THE RAGING SEAS TO SHOW THE SUCCESS OF EXAM-ORIENTED STUDENTS.
1. OMG. Then the students would not know HOW TO SIT FOR SPM when they reach form 5 if there were no major exams. Sure, they are already harassed with TWO intervention exams, ONE mid term, ONE diagnostics and TWO TRIALS all in ONE YEAR(that’s one exam every two months) before SPM, but it will NEVER BE ENOUGH. It will be an added bonus if the teachers don’t teach at all but just give them exams till SPM arrives. That way they would be so used to it they would feel numb doing SPM thus they would excel in SPM.
2. Students are still young and naïve(aka stupid) they cannot do their own decisions and they don’t know how to study independently. By spoon feeding them ALL the knowledge that the teacher knows, they would memorise more and would act and decide according what are told to them. They are just like robots you know. You have to push their buttons and insert commands so they can move. THINKING? Why should they? Being obedient and just nodding their heads are enough. If there are no exams, how are we gonna know how good a robot they are. A robot has no ideas and opinions. Students should too.
3. STRESS? What stress? The children go to school happily la early in the morning with the heavy bags. Aiyah it’s okla. Still young, their bones can tahan for sure. Then they have clubs and sports but not too much aiya (cuz it’s not in the exam). If they are too tired they cannot go for tuition class later. At 6 go for tuition. Return at 8pm, eat and then go do their homework. Much better this way. They should just study, study, study. Childhood is no more play play. Where you see children play now? Going to school should never be fun. If it is fun then the teacher is not preparing my children for the real world(which sucks really) So their childhood years must be filled with stress, pressure, exams, to be excellent and they must suck.
4. The schools and teachers are now very exam oriented. Why is this bad? If they are not exam oriented, meaning the teachers are allowed to teach their subject according to their creativity and initiative, and the school would be more fun. And God Forbid, students could actually ENJOY learning. This cannot be for the reason that has been established above (because real life sucks and miserable, students must learn to feel miserable when they go to school)
5. No PMR and UPSR, how are we gonna stream those excellent students to go SBP, MRSM or Technic school? Regardless of the fact that those school could actually release sign up forms, and have the school’s own entrance exam. This means we’re doing it the way other developed countries are doing- the school itself comes out with its own exams and picks up the candidates suitable for the school. For example SESERI aims to be the leader in Traditional Dance and Bowling. SESERI would ensure she should pick out those students who are very good with Traditional Dance and Bowling besides academic. Yet, this is a WIN-WIN situation therefore it should not be done because the school cannot be trusted to be fair in selecting students. (The current practice is the practice is the ministry is the one doing the selection on whatever basis they did. So don’t wonder why are there so many Amirahs and Fatins in SESERI and so many Aizats and Khairuls in STAR. That’s VERY FAIR you see)
6. Who cares if a students’ knowledge, ability and experience in school would be assessed once and only in SPM and if they fail that then that’s it. You have no more potentials and a BAD student, regardless the fact that you were the best student in academics and clubs and you excel in every school exam but when you sat for SPM you had a fever. Resulting in you not being able to answer the questions excellently. Imagine this, you are the best student of the year but because you were sick during SPM, you didn’t get a single A in any subject, and thus denied of your dream of going to university. THIS IS HOW WE REWARD HARD WORK AND PERSEVERENCE? All those hard work and knowledge just disappear down the drain, not your fault, but it is FATE. And you wonder why kids as old as standard six committed suicide when they didn’t get the results they expected in UPSR. And though the suicide rate of students keeps increasing day by day, this is DEFINITELY not the reason.
7. If we implement the entrance exam, how can we trust the school teachers to test our students and how would we not know if the teacher only gives good marks because she wants to be an excellent teacher that year? Even though all this time, the same teachers are the ones who mark the PMR and UPSR papers but when it comes to their own students they wouldn’t be objective? If the teacher is not objective during marking and keeps rewarding undeserved good marks, sooner or later you could see the kind of students she produced. If no one ever performs later or got offered to go further their studies, you could tell that the paper was marked incorrectly and the teacher is doing something fishy..
In conclusion is, keep the exams and we will stay the same and never change( change is bad rite?)